Saturday, June 8, 2019

I have a Confession...

I have a confession... running has been hard for me lately.In January when I decided that I would once again run Grandma's half marathon, I knew that my mental strength was not where it was last year when I signed up. Since beginning the training process, I feel like it has been an up hill battle. I have suffered from shin splints, but mostly it has been a battle with my mind. That still small voice that whispers, you can't or you're too slow or you'll never achieve your goal time always seems to be there.


It only seems fitting that I am dedicating my race this year to Still I Run, which is an amazing organization who is dedicated to bringing awareness to mental health. It is a community of runners that uses running to battle through depression, anxiety & other mental health issues that effect people. 

I personally began running to overcome postpartum depression after having Kylie. That was 5 years ago and my love for, passion & physical/mental health craves to run for energy boost & mood boosts.Running has become so much more than exercise for me, it has in many ways become therapy for me.

So here is that thing... I set out to raise $200 for Still I run a couple months ago, I was able to raise $260! I decided to up my goal to $1,000 with a short 13 days before race day! As I am struggling to finish my training and cross that finish line, I wonder if you would show some support. Whether that be donating money to fundraiser or praying for my mental strength on race day... I would greatly appreciate it. Wondering if you donate where your money will go? The following is directly off of the Still I Run website; 

Aside from the natural overhead costs of running a non-profit, here is where the majority of your donation to Still I Run goes.

Treatment Assistance Grant

Our ultimate goal is to someday have a Treatment Assistance Grant. With this grant, people in financial need can get mental health help because we’re very adamant that money should never be a barrier to receiving care. In addition to mental health treatment, recipients of the grant will be paired with a running coach to help them get in the healthy habit of running for mental health while creating a culture of accountability.

Ambassador Program

In 2018, Still I Run started an ambassador program which involves 6 individuals across the country (and one in New Zealand) running on behalf of Still I Run. These individuals blog on a quarterly basis, run races in Team Still I Run apparel, and post on social media about Still I Run. The ambassador program requires money to send apparel, free of charge (or deeply discounted) to ambassadors so that the message of Still I Run is spread in an organic fashion to the running community. In 2019 we have 20 ambassadors we’re supporting.

RUN.WRITE.FIGHT

In 2019 we launched a letter-writing program called RUN.WRITE.FIGHT. With the program, individuals can request a personalized, hand-written letter to be sent their way as a note of encouragement. Donations to Still I Run help purchase the cards, stamps, and envelopes needed for the program.

Support Running Groups

On a regular basis, individuals across the country reach out to Still I Run to host runs or running groups on behalf of us. To help support those efforts, Still I Run sends branded swag, snacks, and any other items to help the run or running group be a success.

Challenges

During the year, Still I Run holds challenges or virtual runs as a way to bring the community together and raise mental health awareness. People who sign up for the challenges or virtual races receive swag and/or prizes for participating.

Race Sponsorships


As a way to help spread Still I Run’s message, Still I Run looks to sponsors races. The sponsorships help to elevate our mission to the general public, supplies race discounts to people from the Still I Run community, secures booth space for Still I Run at race expos and more.
This organization is doing amazing things to end the stigma that surrounds mental health & I am so proud to be part of it! They stand for all of the things I know running has done for me and continues to do for me! Every step, every mile that I have done thus far and on race day will be for myself, my mama and all the people who struggle with their mental health.
This is the link to my fundraiser...
https://pledgeit.org/bee-barber-still-i-run-challenge/@breann-barber

Thanks for reading & being there friends! Have a fantastic weekend! 

XOXO Bee


No comments:

Post a Comment