Friday, January 15, 2021

Lament, much?

 Lament... What do you think of when you hear this word? Previously the only thing that came to mind when I heard this word was "complain". Is it appropriate to complain to God? To whine to him about not getting your way or for complaining to Him about how life is going? 

Well friends let me tell you that 2020 was hard for all of us in many different ways. This past year has left me lamenting a lot lately and I have been wondering if the feelings I have been having as of late are ok. See growing up as a Christian in a christian home I was always taught to bring my struggles to God. Ok, been there done that, but what I was never taught was what to do when things don't work out or what to do with feelings of disappointment. I think I always just had a preconceived notion that having faith in God was all rainbows and butterflies and that stormy days and nights didn't really exist if you had your faith. 

WRONG! Faith makes getting through those storms possible. However something I have recently discovered is that it is ok to lament. It's ok to share your broken heart with God, he wants us to. Lamenting is not complaining; it is the practice of bringing our struggles, mourning and sorrow to God. As I read through my devotion today I began to feel a little bit of light coming to me, helping me understand the feelings I have been having and it was as if God was sitting next to me telling me that it's ok for me to have these feelings of sadness and struggle. 

"Yet we often decline His invitation to lament, and the pressure of pain and anguish builds. Why do we resist? Maybe we feel guilty questioning God and think it's sinful to admit struggle. Maybe we assume that acceptable faith should always appear positive and unshakable. Or, maybe we equate being close to God with mountaintop experiences full of praise and celebration."

"Let's be clear: expressing both praise and pain to God is worship. Whether we are joyfully raising our hands or sorrowfully turning our tear- streaked faces toward Him, we are seeking God and engaging in genuine relationship with our Creator. As we lament, as we grieve, Jesus stands with us as the one who has wrestled with and beaten death itself. He gives the comfort of His presence that soothes, restores and brings us back to life." ~ Patti Sauls {She Reads Truth writer}

I think when we are believers we tend to forget that it's ok to have struggles, its ok to be hurt and doubt... because we are after all human. Being a believer and having faith is not a promise that life will be easy and with out sadness... it means you have a belief that will help carry you though those hard times. Believe me when I say that if I didn't have my faith and belief in God that I would not still be standing today. Life has thrown many things my way and one those things has been losing loved ones. So yeah I do think its ok to be sad and lament to the One who created me because that is part of life. What is not ok is to lose faith or hope in the One who created me because He loves me with an unshakable love, one without end. 

Friends, I hope you are all well... just remember if you are struggling today, its ok. Do what you need to do to heal, rest, and reset. God is one that will always meet you where you are, especially in the middle of your dark stormy times! 

XOXOXO Bee






No comments:

Post a Comment